A woman and her partner landed in the hospital after dinner time took an unexpected, terrifying turn. Cassie Hodges of New South Wales, Australia, and her partner Mark thought it was just an ordinary family meal. Instead, they suffered severe burns. 

Hodges and her partner were both taken to the hospital via ambulance. Hodges was treated for severe burns to both arms, chest, and stomach. Mark received a deep burn on his stomach. 

Just moments before the accident, Hodges had been holding her 12-week old son. She'd taken him into the next room to sit with his siblings while she dished up dinner.

It turns out the marks were from a pressure cooker they were using to heat up soup. It unlatched prematurely sending the lid and the boiling contents at Hodges and Mark.

"... Mark let the pressure release valved off to release the pressure, the steam cam out [of] the top as normal. Then I heard a click. Suddenly I knew the lid unlocked, and the next minute I was hit with something. The lid had unlocked and because [the pressure cooker] hadn't finished releasing the pressure, the lid flew off and the entire contents hit me as if someone chucked a bucket of water at me. The noise of it was a loud sizzle," Hodges wrote on her Facebook page.

Please SHARE . I want people to be aware of the dangers of using a pressure cooker . On Friday the 17 of June 2016 my...

Posted by Cassie Hodges on Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Hodges said she believes the pressure cooker malfunctioned. About Food, reports that pressure cookers are built so that the lid won't open until the pressure has been released. Additionally, pressure cookers are not supposed to heat up until the lid has been properly sealed.

"I want people to be aware of the dangers, we did nothing wrong, the machine unlocked prematurely, it should stay locked and unable to be opened until the pressure is all gone," Hodges wrote.

If you choose to use a pressure cooker in your kitchen, make sure you use extreme caution and use the following safety tips:

-Check your equipment. The rubber gasket that lines the lid should not be cracked or dried. You may need to replace these seals at least once a year.
-Don't overfill your cooker.
-Make sure you add enough liquid to your cooker.
-Clean your cooker regularly
-Use caution when releasing the steam. Wear gloves if you opt to use the quick release valve.

Have you ever had a bad experience with a pressure cooker? Share your thoughts in the comments below. Don't forget to share this with your friends on Facebook.